Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Garden Therapy

I don't know about you, but I am really enjoying my garden! I enjoy going out each day and seeing the progress in each plant. It amazes me that these huge plants came from a single seed! This is the first year that I have used a square foot garden. So far, here is what I have learned:
  • To trellis tomatoes, you have to be DILIGENT. If you let them go for a week, it is really hard to get them back on the trellis. I am not sure if I like trellising tomatoes better than using traditional tomato cages.
  • Trellising tomatoes does take less room.
  • Weeds are really kept to a minimum. I have pulled only a handful of tiny weeds out of the gardens.
  • All the plants are growing exceptionally well- better than I have ever had in my traditional gardens.
  • This method really does produce more than the traditional garden. I have way more than what my family of 6 can eat (the neighbors are enjoying it!)
  • If I would have realized how much I loved it, I would have done this 15 years ago.
So far, we have harvested at least 20 zucchini, 10 yellow squash (I only planted one zucchini plant, and one squash plant), loads of peas, romaine lettuce, bibb lettuce, herbs, spinach, swiss chard, and onions. The carrots are about 5 inches long, and the beets are ready to be harvested. I give the square foot garden method a thumbs up.








The peas are about 6 ft. high











Zucchini plant










Yellow Squash













Pole Beans












Romaine Lettuce








Peppers (green, anaheim, jalapeno)






Cantaloupe












Bush Beans (upper left)














Trellis tomatoes














Swiss Chard








Beets










Carrots









Onions











Cucumbers (front), peas (back)

































Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

No comments:

Post a Comment