Saturday, June 27, 2009

How much will fit in a 5 gallon bucket?

As you know, I like to store many of my dried foods in food grade 5-gallon buckets. I like this for several reasons:
  • You can get them either free or for really cheap from bakeries
  • I stack them up, numbered, and always know how much I have
  • It is easy to rotate them
  • With a mylar bag liner and gamma lid, it is airtight
I thought it might be helpful to post how much product will fit in each bucket. One 5-gallon bucket with a mylar liner will hold:

35-40 lbs. of dried beans

40 lbs of lentils or green peas

35 lbs. white sugar or salt (you don't want to use oxygen absorbers with sugar)

26-30 lbs of spaghetti

16 lbs of penne pasta

43 lbs of wheat berries

33 lbs of long grain white rice - very nice- (2) 50 lb bags fill 3 buckets

All of these amounts leave about 1.5 inches of headroom in the buckets when the mylar is vacuumed, sealed and the oxygen absorbers do their work.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

1 comment: