Friday, October 9, 2009

Lara's Tomato Soup

This delicious recipe came from my friend Nicole's Mother, Lara. It is a personal favorite. I have always said to my family, that if ever I opened a restaurant, I would serve this.

2-3 quarts tomatoes
1 cube butter
1 cup flour
1 medium onion, finely minced
1 jar pesto (or homemade pesto)
3-4 cups milk or cream
Season to taste with: garlic powder, lemon pepper, seasoned salt, and Tabasco sauce

Work tomatoes through a strainer or food mill to produce a nice thick tomato juice. Meanwhile, saute onion in butter until onions are translucent. Add the flour and cook the roux long enough to cook the flour (so you don't get a pasty taste). Do not brown. To the warm tomato juice, add the roux and mix well. Add enough milk or cream to make the soup as light or dark as you prefer. Add pesto and seasonings to please your tastes. Enjoy!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

No comments:

Post a Comment