Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Grocery Cash Experiment

I don't use credit cards.  However, I do use my debit card all the time.  I decided that last month, January, I would try to only use cash for groceries, since this is the area we have the most control over.  I slashed my food budget by 35% (just to see if I could do it), got that amount of cash, and put it in an envelope.  Every purchase I made at the store for food, laundry, household goods, etc, I used this cash.  Here is what I found out:
  1. I really had to plan out what we were going to eat for each week.
  2. I tried to only go to the store once each week.
  3. I tried to only buy what was on my list (that didn't work too well)
  4. I "ad-matched" all of our produce, making it really inexpensive.
  5. I was able to buy about $100 of food storage.
  6. Not only did we eat fabulously, I had money left over!  
From now on, I am only using cash for groceries.  When it is gone, it is gone.  

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | DreamyDonkey

No comments:

Post a Comment